Posted in: 3-5, K-2, Science
Maples and Pines in Fall - photo courtesy of Helen Dooley, taken in October, 2002.
Grade Level: Grades 1-4
By Helen Dooley
Murphy Adventist School – Cherokee County
In today’s world of television and video games, this site is an attempt at instilling in our students an awareness of the enjoyment which can be found among our abundance of beautiful , diverse trees here in the mountains. At the same time, they will be realizing the importance of trees to our existence,as well as the importance of our responsibility in seeing that trees continue to exist. Tree recognition also plays a part in this plan.
VIEW THIS LESSON PLAN
Click Here for More Information on Using DigitalHeritage.org in the Classroom
- Nature in Macon County This unit will expose the aggressive invasion of exotic plants into the mountains of Western North Carolina. We will discover why some of the plants were brought here and how they became […]
- Gem Mining Cowee Valley, located in Northern Macon County, in Franklin, North Carolina is an area rich with gem mines. Gem mining is a hobby and tourist attraction. Students will learn about the […]
- Weatherlore: Weather Signs of Western North Carolina Most of us at some time have been acquainted with some form of weather folklore. Prior to modern technology, man observed nature to predict weather patterns...and so, weather proverbs […]
- The Evolution of the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad This unit will investigate the birth of a railroad through Western North Carolina once known as the Murphy Branch. We will discuss how the operation and purpose for the train has changed […]
- The Art of Hat Making in Macon County Students will use books, Internet, and people to gain background knowledge of hat making and hat fashions. In a culminating activity, students will design a hat that represents their […]