Hanging Dog

The Hanging Dog community in Cherokee County got its colorful name when a Cherokee Indian’s hunting dog barely escaped getting hung up in a mass of jammed logs and vines in a flooded creek. Nearby, European settlers found important deposits of iron. Hanging Dog became well known and economically successful thanks to its bloomery forge that produced iron that was traded throughout the Southeast.  Smelting iron required vast amounts of charcoal that resulted in thousands of acres being stripped of trees. On May 6, 1865, elements of the Confederate Army’s Thomas Legion skirmished with some fifty Union soldiers near Hanging Dog in one of a number of small actions that compete for the title of Last Battle of the Civil War Fought East of the Mississippi River.

Multimedia:

Below is the Digital Heritage Moment as broadcast on the radio:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Related Posts

  • Iron MakingIron Making Europeans introduced the important craft of iron making to Appalachia in the 16th century. Iron ore was discovered all over the region. Large deposits were found in Pennsylvania. Smaller ones we...
  • BlacksmithingBlacksmithing Long before Western North Carolina was celebrated by visitors for its majestic Blue Ridge Parkway views; even before it was recognized by the ailing for its beneficial climate and therapeutic mount...
  • Railroads in Western North CarolinaRailroads in Western North Carolina Early in the 19th century railroads were being built throughout the expanding United States. Western North Carolina was growing as well. Asheville, a crossroads for agriculture, was also emerging a...
  • Craft RevivalCraft Revival From the 1880s until World War II, Appalachian crafts were rejuvenated by a cultural revival. It was led by missionaries and social workers who wanted both to preserve Appalachian culture, but als...
  • Mud Creek Missionary Baptist ChurchMud Creek Missionary Baptist Church In May 1867, having been led by the spirit of God, newly freed slaves from Charleston joined with their ministers to establish the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church in East Flat Rock, North Carol...