Jackson County Courthouse

Jackson County, created in 1851, built a brand new town named Webster to be its county seat. Court was held at Daniel Bryson’s home and at Alan Fisher’s store until the courthouse was finished. In 1887, a second courthouse was built, but the new railroad had bypassed Webster three years earlier. In 1913, a controversial election moved the county seat a few miles north to Sylva, a new town that had sprung up alongside the railroad.  Jackson County’s third courthouse was modeled on the recently built Madison County courthouse, a brick neo-classical revival building. The picturesque building is situated on a low hilltop and dominates downtown Sylva. It is advertised as North Carolina’s most photographed courthouse, a claim no longer technically true since Jackson County built its fourth courthouse in 1994.

Multimedia:

Below is the Digital Heritage Moment as broadcast on the radio:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Related Posts

  • Oconaluftee Indian VillageOconaluftee Indian Village In 1952, the Cherokee Historical Association opened the Oconaluftee Indian Village, a recreated Cherokee village set in the 1750s. . .
  • Gertrude Dills McKeeGertrude Dills McKee Gertrude Dills McKee, daughter of the founder of Dillsboro, North Carolina, married local businessman Ernest Lyndon McKee. She worked actively for various civic causes. . .
  • All Souls Episcopal ChurchAll Souls Episcopal Church George Vanderbilt established All Souls Episcopal Church in 1896 to serve the workers on his Biltmore Estate near Asheville.  The church was the centerpiece of the village he […]
  • Craft GuildCraft Guild In 1892, Frances Goodrich, a New England educated Presbyterian Missionary, moved to the Madison County community of Allanstand. Her goal: to improve the quality of life for mountain […]
  • Mud Creek Missionary Baptist ChurchMud Creek Missionary Baptist Church In May 1867, having been led by the spirit of God, newly freed slaves from Charleston joined with their ministers to establish the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church in East Flat Rock, […]