Hot Springs


Creative Commons Image Obtained Through Flickr

Located in Madison County at the confluence of the French Broad River and Spring Creek, Hot Springs has long been a destination for therapeutic relief. First Native Americans, then European settlers “took the cure” in the hot mineral waters. In 1831 James Patton of Asheville built the 35- room Warm Springs Hotel. His dining room could seat 600 people, and the planter elite of South Carolina and Georgia brought culture and prosperity to the small village. After 1884, a rebuilt hotel made Hot Springs one of the most lavish resorts in the Southeast. Changing tastes and a series of fires ended the resort’s grand era by World War I. Hot Springs is best known now as a resting spot on the Appalachian Trail.

Multimedia:

Below is the Digital Heritage Moment as broadcast on the radio:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Related Posts

  • Wilma DykemanWilma Dykeman Wilma Dykeman of Asheville, North Carolina, was a major Appalachian author. Her novels “The Tall Woman,” “The Far Family,” and “Return the Innocent Earth” vividly evoke life in the region […]
  • Mace ChairsMace Chairs   The Mace family of western North Carolina became famous for their comfortable chairs, called “settin’ cheers.” Beginning after the Civil War, several generations of Maces […]
  • Railroads in Western North CarolinaRailroads in Western North Carolina Early in the 19th century railroads were being built throughout the expanding United States. Western North Carolina was growing as well. Asheville, a crossroads for agriculture, was also […]
  • Buncombe TurnpikeBuncombe Turnpike To truly appreciate the value and impact of western North Carolina’s historic Buncombe Turnpike it is useful to have a basic geographic understanding of the region it […]
  • Little SwitzerlandLittle Switzerland The Grassy Mountain area of Mitchell and McDowell counties was long a traditional settlement of Scotch-Irish families. In the summer of 1909, Charlotte lawyer Heriot Clarkson discovered […]