Portrait of Sequoyah The Cherokee Nation website www.cherokee.org
Grade Level: Third Grade
Subjects: Social Studies, Math, English, Computer Technology and Information Skills
By Mollie Robinson
Cherokee Elementary School- Swain County Schools
This two week third grade integrated unit will emphasize important Native American leaders past and present with in emphasis on Cherokee leaders. The unit includes literature about famous Native Americans. Students will develop an understand of how these people’s lives have an impact on the current roles of Native Americans today. This literature will be the basis for the unit and provide a springboard on which the students will get ideas for personal research topics and information. The students will be involved in a variety of activities including reading, listening, speaking, researching, and creating projects. These projects will include some Internet research and may involve computer technology such as Microsoft Word and/or Microsoft Power Point. This unit will integrate activities in math, language arts, social studies, and computer skills.
Adventures of the American Mind- Western Carolina University
View This Lesson Plan
Click Here for More Information on Using DigitalHeritage.org in the Classroom
- Mountain Heritage Center The Mountain Heritage Center was created by Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina, in 1975. Combining a museum with a research center, it preserves the history and […]
- Cecil Sharp In 1915 Cecil Sharp, an important collector of traditional English ballads, was informed that many Appalachian singers were singing old English songs ...
- Appalachian Cooking This unit plan was designed for first grade students but could be modified for all ages and grade levels. Like other Appalachian customs and cultures, I found Appalachian cooking and food […]
- Tweetsie Railroad One of the most historic railroads in Southern Appalachia, the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina,ran from Johnson City, TN, to Boone, NC, from the late 1800s until 1950. It was born […]
- North Carolina Adventure In this project, fourth graders will learn about their home state in history using My State Notebook, published by A. Beka Books.They will be learning and gathering information on North […]