George Vanderbilt established All Souls Episcopal Church in 1896 to serve the workers on his Biltmore Estate near Asheville. The church was the centerpiece of the village he constructed to house his workers, a community known as Biltmore Village. Richard Morris Hunt, the Biltmore House architect, designed the cross-shaped church and its adjoining parish hall in a transitional Romanesque Gothic style, reminiscent of medieval abbeys. All Souls Church pursued an active social mission. It sponsored a school for mountain children and later one for children with special needs, and it supported the establishment of a nearby hospital. In the late 1990s, the diocese of Western North Carolina selected All Souls to serve as it’s cathedral, and remains the only cathedral in the region.
Below is the Digital Heritage Moment as broadcast on the radio:
- The Biltmore Estate George Washington Vanderbilt II was born into money. His grandfather, Cornelius Vanderbilt, amassed a huge railroad and shipping empire. His father, William Henry Vanderbilt, financed the […]
- George W. Vanderbilt
George W. Vanderbilt, heir of the vast Vanderbilt family fortune, first visited the Asheville area as a young man in 1888. He fell in love with the mountains and began construction of a […]
- Basilica of St. Lawrence In 1905 Asheville’s Catholic community built the Basilica of St. Lawrence, a church specially designated by the pope for its dramatic architecture. . .
- Asheville Boom Feverish economic development is not new to Western North Carolina. The arrival of the railroad in Asheville triggered a boom that resulted in the construction of over 65 new commercial […]
- Dinner on the Ground Dinner on the Ground in the Upland South from Appalachia to the Ozarks, is an outdoor picnic held at Decoration Day events. The term originally referred to eating in a churchyard or […]