In May 1867, having been led by the spirit of God, newly freed slaves from Charleston joined with their ministers to establish the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church in East Flat Rock, North Carolina. With no permanent meeting house and only circuit riding clergymen, the faithful walked great distances to share services with other congregations or worshipped in brush arbors and sheds. In 1887, members had saved enough money to buy land and construct a simple sanctuary, which also served through the week as a self-supporting school and community center. Deacons addressed moral transgressions at Saturday meetings, three sermons were delivered on Sunday, and baptisms were conducted year-round in the icy waters of Mud Creek. In 1933, the church moved to its present location on Roper Road in East Flat Rock.
Below is the Digital Heritage Moment as broadcast on the radio:
- Happy Land In 1865, a band of former slaves newly freed in Mississippi began searching for a new home. They settled near Tuxedo in Henderson County, North Carolina. They eventually bought 200 acres […]
- Young Adult Choir, Tried Stone Missionary Baptist Church, 2001 Mountain Heritage Award Comments
SEPT. 29, 2001
Winner: Young Adult Choir of Tried Stone Missionary Baptist Church.
Accepting Award: choir director Cornell Proctor
The Young […]
- Etta Baker Etta Baker was an important Appalachian blues guitarist. Born in North Carolina’s Piedmont in 1913, she spent her adult life in the mountain town of Morganton. Her mixed African-American, […]
- Affrilachians Creative Commons Image Obtained Through Flickr
The term Affrilachian, coined in the early 1990s by Kentucky poet Frank X Walker, has claimed a place in our understanding of the […]
- Highlander Folk School The Highlander Folk School was founded in 1932 in Monteagle on Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau. Its founders envisioned an adult education center where mountain people could tackle […]