Riverside Cemetery

Riverside Cemetery, located in Asheville’s historic Montford District overlooking the French Broad River, was established in 1885 to serve a growing city.  The beautiful and historic cemetery’s 87 carefully landscaped acres are the last resting place for 13,000 people.  Among those interred among the ancient trees and well-tended flower gardens are noted authors Thomas Wolfe and O. Henry, three Confederate generals, North Carolina Governor Zebulon D. Vance, a bodyguard to President Abraham Lincoln, and 18 German sailors who were held as prisoners of war in Asheville during World War I.  Many of the funeral monuments are works of art.  The cemetery, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is designated a Buncombe County Treasured Tree Preserve.

Multimedia:

Below is the Digital Heritage Moment as broadcast on the radio:

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Related Posts

  • Thomas WolfeThomas Wolfe Thomas Wolfe was born to Julia and W.O. Wolfe in 1900. The youngest of eight children, he grew up living in the boardinghouse operated by his mother in Asheville, North Carolina. His […]
  • F. Scott FitzgeraldF. Scott Fitzgerald F. Scott Fitzgerald was the famous author of The Great Gatsby and other novels chronicling fast life in the Jazz Age. Scott, an Army officer, met Zelda, a Montgomery, Alabama debutante, […]
  • Asheville BoomAsheville Boom Feverish economic development is not new to Western North Carolina. The arrival of the railroad in Asheville triggered a boom that resulted in the construction of over 65 new commercial […]
  • All Souls Episcopal ChurchAll Souls Episcopal Church George Vanderbilt established All Souls Episcopal Church in 1896 to serve the workers on his Biltmore Estate near Asheville.  The church was the centerpiece of the village he […]
  • Basilica of St. LawrenceBasilica of St. Lawrence In 1905 Asheville’s Catholic community built the Basilica of St. Lawrence, a church specially designated by the pope for its dramatic architecture. . .