Leona T. Hayes receiving the award in 1978.
- Old Growth Forests Old-Growth forests conjures up visions of the great forests that once covered most of eastern north America, and of towering trees undisturbed by logging and human settlement. They provide […]
- Blue Ridge Parkway Essay By Timothy N. Osment History, M.A. WCU 2008 The Blue Ridge Parkway, stretching 469 miles between the Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks, has offered […]
- Craft Revival From the 1880s until World War II, Appalachian crafts were rejuvenated by a cultural revival. It was led by missionaries and social workers who wanted both to preserve Appalachian […]
- Battle of Asheville On April 6, 1865, the Battle of Asheville was fought in the closing days of the Civil War. Only three days before Lee surrendered to Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse, Union Colonel […]
- Cradle of Forestry in America, 1997 Recipient of the Cradle of Forestry in America, receiving the Mountain Heritage award, 1997.