Leona T. Hayes receiving the award in 1978.
- Bill Monroe When people are asked to name words that they associate with the Appalachian region, one of the first words off the tongue is bluegrass. The country credits one man, Bill Monroe, with […]
- Sorghum Sorghum, or molasses as it is sometimes called, was along with honey, a main sweetener in the mountains. Sorghum cane was brought to America from Africa in the 19th century. Most […]
- Cherokee Storytelling The Cherokee people, like all Native American tribes, possess an extensive, ancient oral history. Before European contact and the creation of the Cherokee syllabary. . .
- Highland Games Scottish Highland games have become increasingly popular in Appalachia. This trend undoubtedly reflects the significant number of mountain people with Scottish or Scotch-Irish ancestry. […]
- Logging Communities of Swain County The project covers three main themes: a) logging communities b) resources of the region and c) environmental impacts of logging on the region.